Tamales

Gluten free food can be expensive.  I mean, Amy's meals are okay but they cost four or five dollars for one serving.  I discovered early on that I couldn't afford to feed my whole family gluten free, especially since it was just me that needed the special diet. I do try to make mostly gluten free meals when I'm cooking, because - hey - I'm cooking - but when I need something quick I usually go for regular pizza for my family. Sometimes I spring for a $10.00 pizza for myself - it's a little pricey though so sometimes I just eat scrambled eggs.  Then one day while wandering down the frozen dinner aisle, I discovered Lynn Wilson Tamales. This is their ingredient list: Water, beef, cornmeal, salt, soybean or canola oil, tomato paste, chili powder (spices including chili pepper and paprika, salt, garlic powder), cumin, paprika.  It looked pretty safe from a gluten free standpoint so I tried them.  After warming them up in the microwave, I garnished them with cheese, lettuce and sour cream. They were easy to make and tasted like real food because they are real - and gluten free anyway. They cost around $5.50 for 10 - so about fifty-five cents a piece. I give them three and one-half stars.

According to the package Lynn Wilson is located in Salt Lake City, UT. I don't know how available they are in most of the U.S.  I would think you may only be able to find them out here in the West. It's probably worth looking for some brand of tamales if you can't find this particular one in your area.

1 comments:

Romance Queen June 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM  

I googled Lynn Wilson Tamales to find out if they were gluten free, because I loved them in my childhood and I now know I have Celiac Disease. Thank you for this information, which was very helpful! Also, since I'm a writer and you have some interest there, you might want to have a look at MY blog: unofficialanita dot blogspot dot com. Thanks so much!