Gluten Free Flour

One of the first things about cooking gluten free is to find a decent flour substitute.  If you read the ingredients of most gluten free flour from the store it is either mostly rice flour or it contains fava beans.  While both flours have their place,  rice is gritty and bean flour has a definite "taste".  The best gluten free flour recipe I have found is in Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating by Jules E.D. Shepard.  She also has many really good and practical recipes in her cookbook.

All Purpose Nearly Normal Gluten-Free Flour Mix TM

1 cup white rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
4 tsp. xanthan gum

I've modified this recipe by adding buckwheat flour (which is naturally gluten free), adding a tablespoon or two of potato flour (I'm not sure why they sell it or who uses it for what), substituting brown rice flour for the white and leaving out the potato starch (when I couldn't find any) and putting in extra corn and rice flour instead.  All have turned out fine.

Pamela's brand makes an excellent pancake mix, which I have used in place of flour for GF baking and that has worked well.

Recently I found a 9 Grain Gluten Free Pancake Mix, by Tree Street Grains.  They have an e-mail address of treestreetgrains[at]gmail[dot]com.  I made some flat bread out of it that was phenomenal. It actually tasted similar to a whole wheat bread. It is made in Provo Utah. I bought it from Harmon's but I don't see it routinely. It contains corn, millet, rice, sorghum, teff, amaranth, buck wheat, quinoa, wild rice, flax, sugar, baking powder & salt.

0 comments: