And A Little Child Shall Lead Them

When Chris was nursery age at church, he had a little trouble staying in there without me. He is my last child and is ten years younger than my youngest daughter, so truthfully it is hard to say whether he or I originally had the most difficulty with this separation. Regardless of whose anxiety caused it, I attended nursery for about six months. If it has been awhile since you have been to nursery, it can be a very entertaining place to go on a Sunday afternoon. You can find out all kinds of interesting information about friends and neighbors. Children do not know not to tell on their parents. Things like "my mommy slams doors" or, my favorite, "My daddy pees standing up" are frequently announced without even prying.

On one particular Sunday Chris was doing very well in nursery. I told him that I needed to go to the bathroom (which I did), and that I would be back. I left, went to the bathroom and returned. I looked through the peephole in the door and Chris was doing fine, so I decided to go to class. About ten minutes later I heard Chris crying in the hall (you can always identify your own child's cry). The nursery leader was bringing him to me. I hurried out to see what was wrong.

"Oh, Chris, what is the matter?" I asked
"I came to find you" He said
"But, Chris" I said "I am okay, you are suppose to be in nursery!"

Chris stopped crying and looked at me very sincerely.

"Mom", he said "You're suppose to be in the bathroom!"

0 comments: