Roast Turkey - Italian Style

I made this for my husband's birthday. I found the recipe in an Italian Cookbook (Italian Cookery) by Pauline Barrese. The front cover and several front pages are gone. The price on the back, for a rather large cookbook is $4.95 so I suspect the series no longer exists. Anyway, I tried out this recipe May of 2009, it was sooooo good that I prepared our Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys the same way - and will for the rest of my life...

Note: Bacon is not always gluten free and products change throughout production, so if it is GF today it doesn't mean that it still will be next year. An invaluable resource is Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide (get the latest edition) by Matison & Matison.  It is published by Kal-Haven Publishing. The web address listed on the book is www.CeceliasMarketplace.com.  I didn't have the book at the time so I looked at the bacon package and bought one that said "natural" and didn't contain dextrose or additional odd flavorings.

Here's the recipe:

Tacchino Al Forno (Roast Turkey)

4 pound turkey
1 large clove of garlic - crushed
butter (I used about 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
4 strips fat bacon (GF)

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Clean the turkey.
3. Mix melted butter, thyme and garlic together and rub it on the turkey.
4. Season the inside with salt and pepper and insert a garlic.  
5. Place in a roasting pan. Arrange bacon strips over breast.
6. Roast for 1 hour and 45 minutes
7. Baste it a couple of times while it is cooking
8. Remove from oven and let sit 20 minutes before carving

Hey, I didn't say it was low fat - only that it was wonderful. The first time I made this, I just used a turkey breast. I used more ingredients for my bigger turkeys and adjusted the time according to the weight of the bird.

0 comments: